[Fedora-legal-list] Waqf license for Fedora.

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 14:27:22 UTC 2010

> Can we add the following license to Fedora? I mean that it would become
> acceptable for packages.
> I was told that I should write the reasons to use it instead of an existing
> one. I think that this could show the variety of cultures that make Fedora
> the best.
> Link to license: http://www.ojuba.org/wiki/_export/raw/waqf/license

Not sure about using a license where the English version has no legal
effect, but this license is unacceptable on it's face anyway:

" * **First - Usage :**
The user may use the work for any good purpose and he may not use it
to harm others or violate the permissive principles of Islam ((Some
scholars use the term Maqasid Alsharia and summarize them by saying
that it aims to protect people rights in religion, lives, sanity,
breed, and properties.)). Notice that any work that is most likely
harmful can't be put under Waqf in the first place."

This is a field of use restriction, which is unacceptable for Fedora.