[Fedora-legal-list] What will be license tag for current hunspell-te in F-13?

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Feb 24 11:55:50 UTC 2010

On 02/24/2010 05:03 AM, Parag Nemade wrote:
> Hi,
>      I want to verify what will be the license tag for hunspell-te
> package in F-13? Will it be GPL+ as no version mentioned anywhere? or it
> will be GPLv2+ based on "If neither the source, nor the upstream
> composed documentation says anything about the license version, then it
> could be under _ANY_ version of the GPL."

It will be GPL+.

Basically, if the only indicator of the license is an unmodified
"COPYING" file, we have to treat the code as GPL+. We cannot use the
version of the GPL license text included in COPYING, because of how the
GPL is written.

In situations like this, it is always ideal to contact the upstream
copyright holder and ask them what version of the GPL they intend for
their work to be under, and have them add clarification to their code (a
mention in the README is sufficient, a comment in the code files is ideal).

~spot