[Fedora-legal-list] Some rights reserved

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Fri Jun 25 07:20:17 UTC 2010

"Jason L Tibbitts III" <tibbs at math.uh.edu> wrote:

> This may be a goofy question, but just in case it's not:
>
> Does changing the stock 3-clause BSD license to say "Some rights
> reserved" instead of "All rights reserved" make any difference at all to
> the meaning of the license?  On the off chance that it actually does,
> can the resulting license still be called "BSD"?  I suspect someone's
> just being cute but I guess it's safer to ask than assume.

If you change the text, this is no lomnger the BSD license as it has a
different meaning (even though nobody max know which meaning).

As the BSD license does not permit to change the license of an existing
program, you cannot do this for existing code except when you are the author
or Copyright holder of the code.

Jörg