[Fedora-legal-list] updating the MPL

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Wed Mar 10 17:45:53 UTC 2010

Hello, Fedora legal geeks.

Earlier today Mozilla announced that we're launching a community
process to update, simplify, and modernize the MPL. You can find more
information about the process at http://mpl.mozilla.org/

We're planning to address issues relevant to this group such as making
the license more generic, (hopefully) reducing the number of duplicate
licenses, and making the license easier to understand (so that Fedora
contributors aren't worrying about what it means).  We're fairly
confident that the updated version will continue to fulfill the
requirements of the Open Source Definition, and therefore be
acceptable to Fedora, but we also want to make sure this is the case
and continues to be the case. Your feedback on the MPL and Fedora
would be a great help here.

Because we want to make sure that the license continues to work well
for Linux distributions, we'd like to make sure information about the
process and participation fora are easy for you to find. I will of
course continue to hang out on this list, but we're hoping we can
aggregate
many comments through our own tools:

    * co-ment for comments on the issues, text, etc. The more that can
be done via co-ment the better, given our limited bandwidth for
reading
and discussion. Available at http://mpl.mozilla.org/participate/comment/

    * mpl-update mailing list for discussion of the process and
important announcements like new drafts, information at:
http://www.mozilla.org/community/developer-forums.html#governance-mpl-update

Please feel free to join the process through any of these tools, or to
contact me directly if there is a topic that doesn't seem to fit in
either of those tools.

Thanks- look forward to working with you-
Luis

--
Luis Villa, Mozilla Legal
work email: lvilla at mozilla.com (preferred)