[Fedora-legal-list] updating the MPL

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Wed Mar 10 18:05:58 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Tom "spot" Callaway
<tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 03/10/2010 12:45 PM, Luis Villa wrote:
>> Hello, Fedora legal geeks.
>>
>> Earlier today Mozilla announced that we're launching a community
>> process to update, simplify, and modernize the MPL. You can find more
>> information about the process at http://mpl.mozilla.org/
>>
>> We're planning to address issues relevant to this group such as making
>> the license more generic, (hopefully) reducing the number of duplicate
>> licenses, and making the license easier to understand (so that Fedora
>> contributors aren't worrying about what it means).  We're fairly
>> confident that the updated version will continue to fulfill the
>> requirements of the Open Source Definition
>
> It is worth noting that we need it to continue to fulfil the
> requirements of the Free Software Definition.

Oh, for some reason I thought it was OSD that Fedora cared about. No
worries, we're consulting with both FSF and OSI so we've got both
bases covered.

> Bonus brownie points if
> you can gain compatibility with GPLv2 & GPLv3 without dual licensing. ;)

Does Fedora have a specific interest in this beyond distaste for the
inelegance of dual-licensing? If it is causing actual problems in
practice, that would be good to know.

> P.S. No claiming that the new MPL doesn't apply to binaries!

We're investigating the binary issue.

Luis