[Fedora-legal-list] Licensing question: BSD with advertising + GPL

Stefan Schulze Frielinghaus stefan at seekline.net
Tue Mar 16 20:33:58 UTC 2010

On Di, 2010-03-16 at 16:05 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On 03/16/2010 03:40 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
[...]
> > Looking at the license at that URL, I see there's also the question of
> > the involvement of the sendmail license which has some rather odd GPL
> > compatibility issues.
>
> Yeah... but since the copyright holder is Sendmail, Inc on those files,
> we can assume that the Sendmail License is GPL compatible here (I'm also
> going to assume that any changes made by the The OpenDKIM Project to
> files originally under the Sendmail License are done under the BSD with
> advertising license).

That's true. OpenDKIM is a fork of a project called dkim-milter which is
orphaned at the moment and was developed by employees of Sendmail Inc.
and therefore shouldn't be a license problem. Only the changes made to
the forked project are licensed as BSD-with-advertisement.

> If I were you, I would ask the OpenDKIM project if they would be willing
> to drop the advertising clause.

I already sent an email to the project maintainer and hope to hear from
him soon.

Regards,
Stefan