[Fedora-legal-list] a java license puzzler (not a fedora package though)

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Thu Nov 11 03:17:51 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 06:27:36PM -0800, Julius Davies wrote:
> What got me excited was the "All Rights Reserved" which strikes me as
> profoundly incompatible with any open source license.

"All rights reserved" is commonly used in copyright notices even in
FLOSS or (I guess a lot less commonly) open content settings, largely
for historical reasons. Today, except in some fairly unusual fact
patterns (which I always forget, but I think one of them involves
things published in the Dominican Republic), it is superfluous. I
don't like it in a FLOSS/open content setting in particular because
has the appearance of being contradictory, though it really
isn't. (Sometimes "all rights reserved" is used to signal that an
ordinary default understanding of free licensing is not
applicable. But I'm sure that wasn't the case here.)

I advise Red Hat developers not to use "all rights reserved", but they
don't always listen to me. :)

> Maybe LICENSE.TXT trumps the "All Rights Reserved" since the "All
> Rights Reserved" is such a common mistake in open source copyright
> statements?

It's not really a mistake. In the DES.java file you provided, it
seemed to me that the copyright notices with "all rights reserved"
indicated that the copyright holder was acting "on behalf of" the
Cryptix project (which itself is strange, but that's a whole nother
issue). To me that suggests that those copyright holders assumed that
the license of the Cryptix project would apply to their
contributions. So LICENSE.TXT helps you give a reasonable
interpretation to those copyright notices.

It's an art, not a science. :-)

> And then the BSD4 clauses in this case trump the
> LICENSE.TXT ?

Yes, but that's because we're dealing with what we can assume is an
atomic unit of source code and the only way to make sense of the mix
of licenses is to assume that a licensee must comply with the most
restrictive license applying to some or all of the code as well as
less restrictive ones.

- RF