[Fedora-legal-list] Reasons for not including MPlayer in main repository?

Stefan Parviainen pafcu at iki.fi
Fri Oct 15 07:06:56 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 04:53:25PM -0400, Tom spot Callaway wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> >> Given that mplayer is already available in rpmfusion, I do not think
> >> there is any merit in packaging a stripped version in Fedora, as it
> >> would cause a conflict with rpmfusion.

I find it curious that you are activly discouraging making "freer"
versions of software, and instead encourage the use of 3rd-party
repositories containing restricted software.

In addition to not having mplayer in the main repositories this also
makes it impossible to include software that depends on mplayer in the
main repos.

Since there seems to be so much opposition to my idea I will just have
to skip Fedora as a supported platform for my software (no, telling
people to install dependencies from some "random" 3rd party source is
not a good solution for me).

--
Stefan