[Fedora-legal-list] mixing (A)GPLv3+ and GPLv2 sources in a python project

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri Oct 22 16:06:12 UTC 2010

On 10/22/2010 11:42 AM, Dan HorĂ¡k wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm doing a review for OpenERP [1] client [2] and server [3], all
> written in Python.
>
> The client in version 6.0 uses AGPLv3+ for most of its files and GPLv2
> for few of them (imported 3rd party library in
> bin/SpiffGtkWidgets/Calendar). Is such mixing possible?
>
> The client in version 5.x uses GPLv3+ for the majority of files, the
> rest is the same GPLv2 which is in my opinion not possible.

Assuming you mean GPLv2 only, the answer is that both situations have
compatibility problems. You should ask upstream to try to resolve the
incompatibilities. The simplest way to do so would be to relicense the
GPLv2 only files to GPLv2 or later (Note: You'll probably end up talking
to both the OpenERP upstream and the 3rd party upstream).

~spot