[Fedora-legal-list] Verifying Fedora from unofficial remixes that have removed the Fedora trademarks

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 13:57:06 UTC 2010

Greetings.

So I've been wondering how we can measure usage of Fedora vs unofficial
remixes that have removed the Fedora Trademarks and while speaking with
Seth regarding one of the ideas I had on how we could potentially
implement this he pointed it out to me that we might be legally
prohibited to gather this information with or without explicit user
consent and forwarded me to you guys to straighten this out.

So my question to you guys is.

Is there anything legally prohibiting or restricting us on verifying and
gather information if users are running Fedora or are running some
unofficial remix that have removed the Fedora trademarks?

If the answer is yes.

What are we allowed to do?

What are we not allowed to do?

If we are not allowed to gather this data in anyway or form can the
unofficial remix be legally bound to notify us of their existence and or
provide us with that data so we could have some kind of an idea on how
many remixes are out there which Fedora is "upstream" for?

Regards
               JBG