[Fedora-legal-list] Use of trademarked operating system icons (eg. Windows logo) in Fedora programs

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Apr 19 22:18:16 UTC 2011

OK so I read a bit more about trademark law and it definitely seems to
be a killjoy, even in this case where we are literally representing
the operating systems in question.

So let me put the question a bit differently: what logos can we use?

Tux for example would seem to be fine to represent Linux guests.

The Fedora logo, surely this is a case where we can use it.

In cases such as the FreeBSD logo and others, if we (ie. virt-manager
project) went through the steps to request permission[1] could we then
include it?

Rich.

[1] http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/documents/Guidelines.shtml

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/