[Fedora-legal-list] Use of trademarked operating system icons (eg. Windows logo) in Fedora programs

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Apr 20 15:29:13 UTC 2011

Thanks for the detailed answer .. it does sound like a lot of work.

Our thinking has moved on a little bit though: What we propose to do
now is to grab existing icons from the guests themselves.  For example
if it was a Fedora guest we'd grab
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/fedora-logo-icon.png out of the
guest (or better still, /etc/favicon.png[1]).  Almost all guests
contain their own icons as part of the base install, if you know where
to look.

We no longer need to distribute any icons.  Users install the guests
from other sources.

However the app will still *use* the icons (again, in a purely
informative, non-pejorative way), and display them in a way that will
still look very similar to the screenshots I showed in the previous
email.

What do you think about this plan?

Rich.

[1] http://cgwalters.livejournal.com/19030.html