[Fedora-legal-list] Use of trademarked operating system icons (eg. Windows logo) in Fedora programs

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Wed Apr 20 15:33:53 UTC 2011

Tom,

----- Original Message -----
> * a link to the specific logo you want to sue

I'm guessing that that last word there was a typo... or perhaps it was a Freudian slip? :)

I'm going to attend your talk at LinuxFest Northwest BTW so make it good!

Regarding the Microsoft logo, hey Red Hat and Microsoft do have a low-key press release-ish agreement to support each others OSes within their own virtualization platforms... so you'd think Microsoft wouldn't mind if their logo was used by a project that Red Hat sponsors and uses for an upstream... when that logo is going to be used in one of the key components of said virtualization products... so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Richard can wrangle through the Red(mond) tape and get approval somehow.

I do appreciate your doing things carefully and making sure they are done right... even though you do expose how big of a pain everything is in real life with this licensing stuff.

Oracle's VirtualBox OSE has OS logos and they are distributing that both under a free license and without cost so unless they are footing some sort of licensing fee for those logos, which I strongly doubt, with enough effort this should be doable.

I look forward to your patch being included someday Richard.

I'll go back into the woodwork now.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle