[Fedora-legal-list] Use of trademarked operating system icons (eg. Windows logo) in Fedora programs

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Apr 20 16:23:01 UTC 2011

On 04/20/2011 11:33 AM, Scott Dowdle wrote:
> I'm guessing that that last word there was a typo... or perhaps it was a Freudian slip? :)

Yeah, that's a typo. :)

> Regarding the Microsoft logo, hey Red Hat and Microsoft do have a low-key press release-ish agreement to support each others OSes within their own virtualization platforms... so you'd think Microsoft wouldn't mind if their logo was used by a project that Red Hat sponsors and uses for an upstream... when that logo is going to be used in one of the key components of said virtualization products... so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Richard can wrangle through the Red(mond) tape and get approval somehow.

I wouldn't assume that a mutual press-release means anything besides the
fact that we put out a mutual press-release. :)

> Oracle's VirtualBox OSE has OS logos and they are distributing that both under a free license and without cost so unless they are footing some sort of licensing fee for those logos, which I strongly doubt, with enough effort this should be doable.

It is almost never the case that because $FOO is doing $BAR, we can also
do $BAR. I know that logic is counter-intuitive from a geek perspective
(and possibly also from a human one), but in legal matters, you cannot
usually rely on the behaviour of other, unconnected parties.

~tom

==
Fedora Project