[Fedora-legal-list] Tanukiwrapper license

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Aug 16 15:15:09 UTC 2011

On 08/15/2011 03:28 AM, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> I would say (but IANAL) that best solution is to release it under GPLv2
> *and*  MIT license and state that all files are licensed under GPLv2, but
> files foo and directory bar, which are licensed under MIT (Leif can you
> state which parts are under MIT?).

I would agree with this part.

> However, I'm not sure how to enforce presence of startup banner in license.

Honestly, requiring that will make the license non-free, especially
since the base license would be GPLv2.

Is there any chance of simply dropping this requirement?

It might be possible to come up with some sort of exception that means:

   While you are permitted to modify or remove the startup banner, if
   you choose to modify or remove the startup banner, you must rename
   the code from Tanukiwrapper.

(Please note, this is the English version, the legalese version will
likely be a lot longer and nastier, which is why I'd prefer to simply
avoid it, if possible.)

~tom

==
Fedora Project