[Fedora-legal-list] What does "independent" mean in the licensing guidelines?

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Fri Feb 4 20:35:26 UTC 2011

The phrase "multiple, distinct, and independent licenses" appears three
times in the http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:LicensingGuidelines
document.  To me it seems pretty clear that this is just some
lawyer-speak for "more than one license", but a non-native speaker
of English wanted to know if "GPLv2+" and "GPLv3+" are independent and I
realized that I've no idea at all what that really means.

Though the context isn't really relevant, the binary package in question
has files which are GPLv2+ except for one which is GPLv3+.  The GPLv3+
code is not linked together with the GPLv2+ code in any way (it's a
plugin).  Obviously the proper license tag is "GPLv2+ and GPLv3+" with a
comment indicating what's what.  When referred to the licensing
guidelines, the packager then came back with questions about whether
those two licenses are independent which I couldn't really answer.

 - J<