[Fedora-legal-list] The Wild Magic License

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Sat Jun 11 13:18:07 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 01:01:38PM +0530, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Could someone please look at this license[1] and decide if it can be
> included in fedora? I found a thread here that says its
> gpl-incompatible, but I want to just make sure.

It is not a free software license, for at least the following reason:
clause 1(c) contains a restriction on commercial use that appears to
be nonfree based on the Sun RPC precedent[0].

In quick net search I found some information suggesting software under
this license may have later been licensed under LGPL, so you may want
to look into that.

- RF

[0]See http://spot.livejournal.com/315383.html

> The j3d library makes use of this. I was in the middle of packaging it.
>
> Thanks,
> Ankur
>
> [1]
> http://ankursinha.fedorapeople.org/licenses/THIRDPARTY-LICENSE-DISTANCE.txt