[Fedora-legal-list] OpenCASCADE Licence v. 6.5

Peter Lemenkov lemenkov at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 17:37:11 UTC 2011

2011/3/29 Tom Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com>:
> On 03/29/2011 03:15 AM, Jiri Kastner wrote:
>> hi,
>> with release 6.5 of OpenCASCADE changed license.
>> i noticed, that https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing/Open_CASCADE_Technology_Public_License is quite old.
>> on http://www.opencascade.org/getocc/license/ is the new one.
>> can you, please, review this license if is still 'BAD' one?
>> thanks in advance.
>
> The only changes since the last review (6.2) are:
>
> * An updated mailing address for Open CASCADE S.A.S.
> * A slightly reworded summary (which is not part of the license)
> * A typo fix in section 4
> * Removal of items referencing the version of the license within the
> license itself
>
> So, no, this license is still non-free. I have updated the Fedora wiki
> with the 6.5 license.

Tom, did you notice that they changed the first paragraph (Obliged vs.
encourage) ?

Was:

In short, Open CASCADE Technology Public License is LGPL-like with
certain differences. You are permitted to use Open CASCADE
Technology within commercial environments and you are obliged to
acknowledge its use. You are also *obliged* to send your
modifications of the original source code (if you have made any) to
the Initial Developer (i.e. Open CASCADE S.A.S.).
Complete text of the license is given below.

Now:

In short, Open CASCADE Technology Public License is LGPL-like with
certain differences. You are permitted to use Open CASCADE
Technology within commercial environments and you are obliged to
acknowledge its use. We *encourage* you to send your
 modifications of the original source code (if you have made any) to
our development team (Open CASCADE S.A.S.)
because when you do so you contribute to the evolution of the product
and many other people can benefit from your modifications.

--
With best regards, Peter Lemenkov.