[Fedora-legal-list] Usage of auto translate

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon May 9 16:30:55 UTC 2011

On 05/08/2011 10:54 PM, noriko wrote:
> Doesn't it violate any copy right at all, if entire guide or some part
> of a guide or a full sentence in a guide uses precisely exact copy of
> the auto translated string(s)? Can we safely utilize this function in full?

Copyright is less of an issue here, to be honest, than the terms of the
Google Translate API. You can read the Google Translate API Terms of Use
here: http://code.google.com/apis/language/translate/terms.html

The TOU says upon termination, "You shall immediately delete any and all
Google Results". This causes a serious problem for us, as there are many
ways that the TOU could be terminated (by us or Google).

I've CC'd Dimitris Glezos on this, Dimitris, can this Google
Auto-Translate functionality be disabled in the Fedora Transifex instance?

~tom

==
Fedora Project