[Fedora-legal-list] IDEA patent expiration?

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 04:44:09 UTC 2011

Hi all,

We explicitly exclude the "International Data Encryption Algorithm"
(IDEA) in a few Fedora packages (bouncycastle, opengpg, ?) due to its
patent issues. Recently it occurred to me that this patent  [1] may
actually have been expired by now. There is some debate in the
wikipedia's discussion page about this topic [2]. From what I
understand, the general perception is that the US patent expired in
May 2011.

Could you please check this?
When is it possible to have the IDEA in Fedora?

Thanks,
Orcan

[1] http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect2=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN%2F5214703
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Data_Encryption_Algorithm