[Fedora-legal-list] CGAL license change to (L)GPLv3+

Laurent Rineau laurent.rineau__fedora at normalesup.org
Mon Feb 13 16:42:49 UTC 2012

Le lundi 13 février 2012 11:30:06 Tom Callaway a écrit :
> If the package contains some libraries under LGPLv3+, and some binaries
> which are under GPLv3+, then "License: LGPLv3+ and GPLv3+" is appropriate.

The package contains some libraries (binaries) that are under LGPLv3+, and a
huge set of C++ headers (.h files). That headers set is decomposed into "CGAL
packages", with distinct functionality. Some of those packages (the
foundations of CGAL, with low-level functionalities) are under LGPLv3+, and
some other packages (higher level functionalities) are under GPLv3+.

Maybe that would make sense to decompose the CGAL package into two, but there
is only one upstream tarball. Users have to have a look at the license notice
in the headers, or to the manual, to know which license applies to a given
package.

Actually, there is also five files taken from Boost libraries, and shipped
inside the CGAL tarball, that are under the Boost Software License, v1.0.
Should I say "License: LGPLv3+ and GPLv3+ and Boost"?

--
Laurent Rineau
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LaurentRineau