[Fedora-legal-list] Product logos in Boxes

Zeeshan Ali zeenix at redhat.com
Sun Feb 19 15:06:37 UTC 2012

On pe, 2012-02-17 at 10:56 -0500, Tom Callaway wrote:
> On 02/17/2012 09:14 AM, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 12:25 AM, Zeeshan Ali <zeenix at redhat.com> wrote:
> >> The reason I'm writing to you is that we really want (more like need) to
> >> show logos of different operating systems to the user[3].
> >
> > While Spot for someone from Red Hat legal can give you a more
> > definitive answer, this sounds very much like the discussion that took
> > place last April.  See the thread at
> > http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/legal/2011-April/001604.html
> > for some possible insight.
>
> We are investigating this situation at the moment, it is similar to the
> April issue, however, that answer was very specific to their application
> and situation, so we want to review this independently to be sure we are
> being thorough.

After talking to Karen Sandler (Executive Director, GNOME Foundation)
about this matter, I modified the UI to signify the trademarks involved
and a disclaimer note:

http://static.fi/~zeenix/tmp/boxes-small-iso-icons+logos.png

Hopefully that helps our case. I am sorry but I forgot to mention in my
original mail that we'll appreciate urgency on this matter as GNOME (and
therefore Boxes) is entering feature freeze for 3.4 tomorrow evening. It
is very much possible to break this freeze with explicit
permission/announcement but it will be nicer/easier to do that at the
beginning of the freeze rather than in the middle/end and we really want
this feature in Boxes in 3.4.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali