[Fedora-legal-list] Expanding binary firmware exceptions (slightly)

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Jul 24 20:51:25 UTC 2012

I don't normally do this, but I'd like to propose a draft for public
feedback before asking the Board to decide on it.

There are two tiny holes I would like to add for expanding the binary
firmware exception in Fedora:

== QEMU ROMs ==
Whenever possible, ROMS implementing BIOS or Firmware for QEMU system
targets must be built from source on the intended architecture. However,
in many situations, this is not practical or possible. As a special
exception, prebuilt binary ROMS implementing BIOS or Firmware for QEMU
system targets may be included in Fedora Packages, as long as the
corresponding source code is also included in the Source RPM package.

== ARM Firmware ==
Whenever possible, firmware that enables ARM devices to boot a Fedora OS
(specifically, its Linux kernel) must be built from source and packaged
normally. However, some ARM devices (e.g. Raspberry Pi) require
proprietary firmware images to boot a Fedora OS (specifically, its Linux
kernel). In these specific cases, an exception to include these firmware
images in Fedora packages (and Fedora composed ARM images) is granted,
as long as they meet the following requirements:

* The files are non-executable within the Fedora OS context. (note: this
means that the files cannot run on their own within Linux, not that they
are just chmod -x).
* The files are not libraries, within the Fedora OS context.
* The files are standalone, not embedded in executable or library code
(within the Fedora OS context).
* The files must be necessary to enable Fedora to boot on a specific
device. If other reliable and supported mechanisms exist which would not
require this binary exception, then this exception does not apply.
* The files are available under an acceptable firmware license (as
previously defined for Binary Firmware), which is included with the
files in the packaging.

Files handled under this exception must use the same license tag as
other binary firmware.

ARM firmware packages must be named <foo>-firmware, where <foo> is the
type of ARM device(s) that the firmware is intended for.

*****

Thoughts?

~tom

==