[Fedora-legal-list] AFPL license

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Wed Nov 21 18:34:08 UTC 2012

Heya,

The libmusicbrainz5 package in Fedora uses sources for the
musicbrainz.org project, and contains the xmlParser.cpp and xmlParser.h
files which say:

 * Copyright (c) 2002, Business-Insight
 * <a href="http://www.Business-Insight.com">Business-Insight</a>
 * All rights reserved.
 * See the file "AFPL-license.txt" about the licensing terms

Apart from the fact that the license file is missing (Christophe, can
you go and tell upstream about this?), it seems that this refers to the
Aladdin Free Public License:
http://www.artifex.com/downloads/doc/Public.htm

This license isn't in the list at:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main?rd=Licensing
And I don't know whether it is a free license, and whether it is
compatible with the LGPLv2+ which the rest of the sources are under.

If the license ends up being problematic, I will have to replace the
library's functionality in a couple of packages.

Cheers

PS: Please CC: me as I am not subscribed to the list