[Fedora-legal-list] Creative Commons 4.0

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Tue Dec 3 16:26:46 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 09:54:12AM +0100, Miro HronĨok wrote:
> HI,
> as you might know, there are new CC 4.0 licenses.
>
> http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/40768
>
> Do we need to specify in the package the version of CC? Like we do
> with e.g. GPL?

Distinguishing version numbers of the CC licenses makes sense to me.

> I saw eairlier today:
>
> "Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 or later."
>
> Do we also need some kind of + as we have in GPL?
>
> CCv3+ BY-SA?
>
> Or does Creative Commons contain some part that makes it back and
> forward compatible, so we don't need to do this?

There is a license upgrade clause in at least the 3.0 licenses but the
meaning of it is sufficiently different from what some assume to be
the meaning of 'or later' in the GPL context that I think it ought to
be noted explicitly where it occurs (likely rare).

- RF