[Fedora-legal-list] winetricks

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Jan 2 15:47:53 UTC 2013

On 01/02/2013 12:46 AM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> winetricks [1] is free software, but I was originally under the
> impression that it was ineligible for inclusion in Fedora because it
> is used primarily to download and install non-free software.  (That is
> not it's only function, though--it also does some registry hacks and
> can manage multiple WINEPREFIXes.)
>
> However, some members of the community disagree [2] and say that it
> might be eligible for Fedora, so we'd like confirmation one way or the
> other.

I would prefer we did not include this in Fedora, mainly because this
script potentially downloads a LOT of third-party stuff from a number of
different sources. Checking each item to ensure that the act of
providing a tool to directly and clearly download that item is not
causing legal concerns (specifically, contributory infringement) will
take a long time.

If you still want this in Fedora, I'd ask you to have FESCo consider it
with my concerns noted. If they think that the merits of this script
outweigh the time to do a full legal audit, then I will tackle it.

You can open a new FESCo ticket here:
https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/newticket

~tom

==