[Fedora-legal-list] Hosting Fedora cloud images

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Oct 2 02:40:49 UTC 2013

> I want to host some Fedora cloud images on a website for people to
> download.  These are constructed using a kickstart which just installs
> @Core into a VM, as simple as it gets.

IANAL, this is not legal advice.

You (as the distributor) are responsible for complying with the license
terms for all of the software included in those cloud images. If you
feel comfortable that Fedora will continue to provide the corresponding
SRPMs for everything in those cloud images (since you are making no
changes to the Fedora bits in the images), we would not impose any
additional hosting requirements upon you for those SRPMS. That said, in
the same breath, we make no guarantee that Fedora will host the
corresponding SRPMS to the binary bits that you use in your cloud image
(although, we probably will). Stick to the GA packages or updates in the
stable branch and your likelyhood approaches 99.9 percent.

If you worry that you may someday be approached to provide corresponding
source for something you distributed in that cloud image (per the
license for that $SOMETHING), and Fedora no longer distributes that
exact binary $SOMETHING (and thus, no longer distributes the
corresponding source), then you may wish to keep a copy of the SRPMs
used in creating your cloud image.

WRT your trademark question, I believe that the trademark guidelines
cover your case here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines#Virtual_images_or_appliances_with_unmodified_Fedora_software

Thus, no additional permission is required from Fedora to use the
trademarks as long as you are in compliance with the bullet points in
that section.

I hope this helps answer your questions, please feel free to let me know
if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

~tom

==