[Fedora-legal-list] Trademark issue: "ubuntu" in package name

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Oct 10 14:36:04 UTC 2013

On 10/10/2013 05:51 AM, Sandro Mani wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got a pending review request for "ubuntu-keyring" (see [1]) where
> the reviewer correctly pointed out that there may be a trademark issue
> with the package name containing the word "ubuntu". I've tried
> contacting Canonical to ask whether we are allowed to use ubuntu in
> package names, but they have not replied to date (inquiry was sent 10
> days ago). This potential trademark issue also affects the package
> "ubuntu-title-fonts", see [2].
>
> I would like to ask whether anyone here has already dealt with a
> precedent issue of this kind, and if so how such issues were resolved.
> Specifically, maybe someone has already approached Canonical for such
> issues?

Canonical says explicitly not to do this:

(from: http://www.canonical.com/intellectual-property-policy)

  You cannot use the Trademarks in software titles. If you are
  producing software for use with or on Ubuntu you may reference
  Ubuntu, but must avoid: (i) any implication of endorsement, or (ii)
  any attempt to unfairly or confusingly capitalise on the goodwill of
  Canonical or Ubuntu.

Short of explicit permission from Canonical, we should not do this.

~tom

==
Fedora Project