[Fedora-legal-list] Trademark issue: "ubuntu" in package name

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri Oct 11 12:45:56 UTC 2013

On 10/11/2013 03:09 AM, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 4:36 PM, Tom Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Canonical says explicitly not to do this:
>>
>> (from: http://www.canonical.com/intellectual-property-policy)
>>
>>   You cannot use the Trademarks in software titles. If you are
>>   producing software for use with or on Ubuntu you may reference
>>   Ubuntu, but must avoid: (i) any implication of endorsement, or (ii)
>>   any attempt to unfairly or confusingly capitalise on the goodwill of
>>   Canonical or Ubuntu.
>>
>> Short of explicit permission from Canonical, we should not do this.
>
> Legal things never cease to amaze me.
>
> I can't really see how naming a package "ubuntu-title-fonts", which is
> the name upstream (and upstream *is* Ubuntu) chose can be "using
> Trademark in software titles".
> We are not even producing software here [1,2], these are just
> packaging of content, not code.
>
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuTitle
> [2] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-keyring

Yes, I know, but we're attempting to be good citizens and respect
Canonical's trademark policies. It would not take Canonical very long to
simply say that anyone may use the "ubuntu-keyring" or
"ubuntu-title-fonts" names to describe those software/font components,
but they have not done so to date.

~tom

==
Fedora Project