[Fedora-legal-list] Trademark issue: "ubuntu" in package name

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Fri Oct 11 14:08:50 UTC 2013

Miro Hrončok wrote:
> Dne 10.10.2013 16:36, Tom Callaway napsal(a):
> > Canonical says explicitly not to do this:
> >
> > (from: http://www.canonical.com/intellectual-property-policy)
> >
> >    You cannot use the Trademarks in software titles. If you are
> >    producing software for use with or on Ubuntu you may reference
> >    Ubuntu, but must avoid: (i) any implication of endorsement, or
> >    (ii) any attempt to unfairly or confusingly capitalise on the
> >    goodwill of Canonical or Ubuntu.
>
> If you are producing software -> no, we are not, we are
> redistributing it. Canonical produces it and they chose to name it
> with this name.

An RPM spec file is software, and Fedora packagers are producing
those. We're not producing software for use with or on Ubuntu though,
so that entire sentence is irrelevant to packaging in Fedora, and what
remains is simply "You cannot use the Trademarks in software titles."

The question is: Does "software titles" include software titles chosen
by Canonical? Apparently Tom thinks it does.

Björn Persson