[Fedora-legal-list] Question about the Supplemental Wallpaper Submission Guidelines

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Sep 4 18:55:05 UTC 2013

On 08/30/2013 11:52 AM, Ryan Lerch wrote:
> The guidelines[1] for the supplemental wallpaper submissions state that
> you need permission from the author to submit the file. Does anyone know
> the reasoning for this? Does it also apply to images that are in the
> Public Domain?

Fedora Legal did not impose this requirement, nor do we see a need for it.

> I ask because there are many many awesome images in places like the NASA
> image library that are public domain. These would be nice to source and
> include in the submissions. Do I need to contact NASA to see if their
> public domain images are okay for use as a Fedora wallpaper?

No. Images that are clearly in the Public Domain (such as NASA's) need
no permission to be included in Fedora.

> Same question if i source an image that is already licensed CC-BY-SA. Do
> i need to contact the artist directly? or does the their choice of
> licence imply permission for use (and consequently for me to submit).

I'd say their choice of license gives you permission to use (in
accordance with their license). It might be nice to let them know if it
is going in, but that's a courtesy, not a requirement.

~tom

==
Fedora Project