[Fedora-legal-list] Linking of GPL-only and GPL-incompatible libraries

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Aug 25 17:41:39 UTC 2014

On 03/04/2014 07:51 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 12/17/2013 10:06 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:

>>> Okay. Is there a specific libtiff consumer that is GPLv2+ incompatible?
>>
>> Candidates are:
>>
>> graphviz (EPL), hylafax+ (libtiff and BSD with advertising), gnuplot.
>>
>> InsightToolkit (ASL 2.0) might qualify as well, depending on whether the
>> GPLv3 upgrade can heal the original GPlv2 vs ASL 2.0 conflict.  Same for
>> ghostscript (AGPLv3+ and Redistributable, no modification permitted).
>>
>> These are only direct dependencies.  Indirect dependencies will need
>> some coding before I can come up with a list.
>
> Are there any final comments on this matter?

Sorry, this one took a while to research and nail down.

In this specific instance, with this set of interdependent software, Red
Hat is not concerned with the jbigkit license making libtiff (with
jbigkit support enabled) incompatible with other Free (but
GPL-incompatible) licensed software. This assurance comes from direct
correspondence with the jbigkit upstream.

Thanks for your patience,

~tom

==
University Outreach || Fedora Special Projects || Fedora Legal