[Fedora-legal-list] Use of IBM AIX logo

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Fri Jan 3 16:54:51 UTC 2014

Hello,

in our open-source project Foreman we use various Linux distro icons,
example screenshot:

http://theforeman.org/static/images/screenshots/host_listing.png

Now, we have a patch from our community which adds support for IBM AIX
UNIX and it was coming with logo created from the official graphics:

http://www.recarta.co.uk/sites/default/files/images/ibm-aix-logo_0.jpg

(This is just a random copy returned by Google)

We have removed that from the patch and accepted it without the provided
logo for now, it was apparently resampled (smaller) version of the
official IBM logo.

Now, there is quite strict trademark policy by IBM which explicitly
disallows the use of their logos:

http://www.ibm.com/legal/us/en/copytrade.shtml

On the other hand, they allow "fair use" to some degree, which is not
explicitly specified in that document. Can be icon of that (small) size
considered as "fair use"?

It is legal to draw similar logo in GIMP (blue circle, green filling
with "AIX" in white) and then scale that down to size of an icon and use
that in our software?

If not, do we have any other options? I guess the second option could be
to create similar logo which would be different from the one presented
(different colors, font maybe). What kind of changes is considered as
different enough?

To be clear, Foreman is not yet in Fedora, but we are planning to
include it as all our dependencies get accepted. It's a long process, we
provide Fedora repositories with our software for now.

Thanks for help and happy New Year all!

--
Later,

 Lukas "lzap" Zapletal