[Fedora-legal-list] Legal flag raised on PPSSPP

Tristan Santore tristan.santore at internexusconnect.net
Tue Mar 11 17:11:33 UTC 2014

On 11/03/14 16:41, Richard Fontana wrote:
> [...]
According to US law yes. If they sell products to the US market for
monetary gain, they would become liable.

Same as a US business could go to court in Europe, making claims against
design rights. Now, as some of us might argue, that anything in software
is akin to a software patent issue, and not a design issue per se, is of
course another story, maybe even a problem with the copyright law in
Europe as such.

Of course, we should also point out, that any US citizen using
rpmfusion, might be liable to patent infringement claims. Even though
they have no commercial gain from using such software.

Fortunately, for us people in Europe, those issues only apply
indirectly. General rule of thumb, considering the inappropriate abuse
of extradition agreements with the US here in the UK, do not host stuff
in the US, do not cater to US residents, if you think you might be
violating US copyright laws or patent laws.

Regards,

Tristan

--

Tristan Santore BSc MBCS
TS4523-RIPE
Tristan.Santore at internexusconnect.net

Former Thawte Notary
(Please note: Thawte has closed its WoT programme down,
and I am therefore no longer able to accredit trust)

TSantore at fedoraproject.org