[Fedora-legal-list] Is this reference to rpmfusion OK?

Adam Saunders adam.saunders at hushmail.com
Fri Mar 14 15:40:13 UTC 2014

---------------------------
DISCLAIMER: This email does not contain legal advice. This email also
does not establish a solicitor-client relationship. You should
neither take nor fail to take any action based on any information
in this email. If you have a legal issue, then retain legal counsel.
--------------------------

Hi Bruno,

I don't work for Red Hat, and I contribute to this list on a volunteer
basis, so I can't speak for Red Hat/Fedora legal policy. Below is my own
individual understanding of the issue:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Main contains a policy on "Links to
Third Party Sites":

"This website may be linked to other websites which are not under the
control of and are not maintained by the Fedora Project. The Fedora
Project and Red Hat are not responsible for the content of those sites.
We provide these links to you only as a convenience, and the inclusion
of any link to such sites does not imply endorsement by the Fedora
Project or Red Hat of those sites. We reserve the right to terminate any
link or linking program at any time."

The command line installation instructions for the patent-encumbered
Z-Push and notes about RPMFusion don't seem to me to be much of an
issue, given the above policy. The instructions state explicitly that
the package is not part of Fedora due to patent restrictions, and notes
that RPMFusion is located on servers in Europe; the language implies
that Z-Push may not be patent-encumbered in at least some parts of
Europe: "Z-Push is not available in Fedora, because Exchange ActiveSync
is patented by Microsoft in several regions including the United States.
Software which is legally encumbered, cannot be included in Fedora,
because it conflicts with our foundations. But Z-Push is available in
RPM Fusion, a third party repository legally located in Europe."

The documentation on that Zarafa page reminds me of the comments on S3TC
Texture compression, which seem to me to be fine to include on the
Fedora Project wiki, at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items?rd=ForbiddenItems#S3TC_Texture_Compression

"S3TC and related texture compression algorithms are patented by S3. The
patent license terms are not suitable for inclusion in Fedora. Users
located in countries where these patents do not apply may find the
libtxc_dxtn package from RPM Fusion to be of help. "

As with the Z-Push text, a disclaimer that S3TC is patent-encumbered
prefaces installation instructions, said installation instructions
geared only towards users in "safe" jurisdictions and pointing to a
third-party repository.

Thanks,
Adam Saunders