[Fedora-legal-list] Spread Open-Source License

Pamela Chestek pchestek at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 14:17:11 UTC 2014

Looks badgeware-ish to me, well beyond 4-clause BSD:

4-clause BSD:
All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software must
display the following acknowledgement: This product includes software
developed by the <organization>.

This license:
All advertising materials *(including web pages)* mentioning features or
use of this software, *or software that uses this software*, must display
the following acknowledgment: "This product uses software developed by
Spread Concepts LLC

* for use in the Spread toolkit. For more information about Spread see
http://www.spread.org <http://www.spread.org>"*
When "advertising," that is, calling out or promoting, "features or use" of
a particular software that has the 4-clause BSD, there is some
justification for also asking for attribution.  But this goes well beyond
that principle both in the required statement ("for more information") and
in situations where it applies, that is, on a webpage when you haven't even
mentioned Spread anywhere in the body of the webpage because your software
has simply used Spread but doesn't even mention, much less promote, it.

It isn't a requirement that a trademark be used, which is why I called it
"badgeware-ish," but to the extent the 4-clause BSD is the upper limit on
provisions like this that can be imposed and still considered free, this
goes beyond it.

Pam Chestek