[Fedora-legal-list] Including gpl3 code and how that affects other source in project

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Wed May 28 16:22:25 UTC 2014

I'm working on a project that's currently gpl2+ licensed [1] and we
want to include some code from a gpl3 project [2]. This code will be an
isolated utility used to generate documentation from data contained in
other source files.

[1] https://bitbucket.org/fedoraqa/libtaskotron
[2] https://github.com/ansible/ansible

I know that if we went forward with this, the project would need to be
distributed as gpl3 but I have some questions around the specifics:

Would all the source in our project need to be re-licensed as gpl3 or is
it sufficient to have the project license as gpl3 and the existing
source files as gpl2+?

Assuming that it is possible to keep the existing gpl2+ source as
gpl2+, would it be possible to change the project license back to gpl2+
in the future if we were to remove any gpl3 code?

Thanks,

Tim