[Fedora-legal-list] Claims about Fair License

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Nov 24 16:30:13 UTC 2014

On 11/19/2014 05:27 PM, Vassilis Palassopoulos wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I was searching to find more information about the Fair License and found out it was mentioned here: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main
>
> The entry in the fedora wiki says it's FSF free, GPLv2 compliant, GPLv3 compliant but I can't find any source for that (e.g. in FSF or GNU website like https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html ). There's an article in wikipedia but it's missing any citation towards these claims. The license is in the list of approved OSI licenses as one can see http://opensource.org/licenses/alphabetical but that doesn't say much in regards to the 3 claims.

For some of the licenses, we cleared them through the FSF and they
confirmed Free (and GPL compatibility), but chose not to update their
list. More recently, we have worked with Red Hat Legal to determine
Free/GPL compatibility (via Richard Fontana, who is perhaps the most
qualified human to make those judgement calls), deferring to the FSF in
cases where it was not obviously clear.

I don't remember which road we went down with for the Fair license. Too
long ago.

If you don't trust our call on the "Free" status of a license, you're
welcome to run it via the FSF. :)

~tom

==
Fedora Legal