[Fedora-legal-list] [RFC] Switching to SPDX in license tags

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Thu Jul 9 14:49:32 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 04:41:00PM +0200, Haïkel wrote:
> From my PoV, the abbreviation system is already an improvement,
> if it's commonly shared with other distros (and Suse already switched to it).

I don't see how it's an improvement if the underlying meaning of the
abbreviations is not standardized. Does "BSD" as an abbreviation mean
the same thing in Suse as it does in Fedora? I don't know but I am
skeptical.

If the underlying meaning of the abbreviations is not itself
standardized, then (for purposes of the distros) the SPDX abbreviation
system is a pseudo-standard and I would expect or at least hope the
SPDX group would oppose the watering-down of the meaning of any aspect
of the standard.

The only possible benefit I see is a psychological one: Fedora
participants would be able to convince themselves that Fedora was
using a standard and enjoy the good feeling that I gather is
associated with that even though in reality there would be no
standard.

RF