[Fedora-legal-list] winetricks

Adam Saunders adam.saunders at adamsaunders.ca
Wed Jul 29 15:34:37 UTC 2015

DISCLAIMER: The following isn't legal advice, I'm not your lawyer
(although I am A lawyer).

The script does contain numerous lines of code for the sole purpose of
installing proprietary software. For example, the Bioshock video game demo:

"w_metadata bioshock_demo games \
     title="Bioshock Demo" \
     publisher="2K Games" \
     year="2007" \
     media="download" \
     file1="nzd_BioShockPC.zip" \
     installed_exe1="$W_PROGRAMS_X86_WIN/2K Games/BioShock
Demo/Builds/Release/Bioshock.exe"

load_bioshock_demo()
{
     if w_workaround_wine_bug 6971 "Setting mwo=force... please upgrade
to wine-1.3.23" 1.3.23,
     then
         w_call mwo=force
     fi

     w_download
http://us.download.nvidia.com/downloads/nZone/demos/nzd_BioShockPC.zip
7a19186602cec5210e4505b58965e8c04945b3cf

     w_info "Unzipping demo, installer will start in about 30 seconds."
     w_try unzip "$W_CACHE/$W_PACKAGE/nzd_BioShockPC.zip" -d
"$W_TMP/$W_PACKAGE"
     cd "$W_TMP/$W_PACKAGE/BioShock PC Demo""

I can't see anything on the Hydra link that refers to FESCO's ruling.
Can you please link to that? Hydra itself is AGPLv3-or-later with an
OpenSSL linking exception (see
https://github.com/vanhauser-thc/thc-hydra/blob/master/LICENSE).

That autodownloader program is interesting but I don't think it's quite
identical. As I understand it, autodownloader provides a means to write
config files to automate downloading of software from the Internet. An
example is given of a proprietary game download config file, but that's
it. Any other downloads have to be manually configured by the end-user.
Winetricks, on the other hand, is just full of scripts for proprietary
software downloading, like the Bioshock example above.

Take care,
Adam Saunders, B.A., M.A. Phil., J.D.
Barrister and Solicitor
The Law Office of Adam Saunders