[Fedora-legal-list] a derivative of the Linux Documentation Project License

Björn Persson Bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Sun Mar 1 10:49:11 UTC 2015

The MySQL++ User Manual has another license than the library itself,
but the -manuals subpackage inherits its License field from the main
package. This shall be fixed, but it's not obvious what the license of
the manual should be called. It's described as follows:

| The MySQL++ User Manual is licensed under a unique license derived from
| the Linux Documentation Project License. (The only changes are due to
| the fact that the User Manual isn't actually part of the LDP, so a lot
| of the language in the LDPL doesn't make sense when applied to the user
| manual.)

The license text is included below. Shall I call this license "LDPL",
or does it need a name of its own?

Björn Persson

MySQL++ User Manual License
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I. COPYRIGHT

    The copyright to the MySQL++ User Manual is owned by its authors.

II. LICENSE

    The MySQL++ User Manual may be reproduced and distributed in whole
    or in part, in any medium physical or electronic, provided that
    this license notice is displayed in the reproduction. Commercial
    redistribution is permitted and encouraged. Thirty days advance
    notice via email to the authors of redistribution is appreciated,
    to give the authors time to provide updated documents.

    A. REQUIREMENTS OF MODIFIED WORKS

        All modified documents, including translations,
        anthologies, and partial documents, must meet the
        following requirements:

            1.  The modified version must be labeled as such.

            2.  The person making the modifications must be
                identified.

            3.  Acknowledgement of the original author must be
                retained.

            4.  The location of the original unmodified
                document be identified.

            5.  The original authors' names may not be used
                to assert or imply endorsement of the
                resulting document without the original
                authors' permission.

        In addition it is requested that:

            1.  The modifications (including deletions)
                be noted.

            2.  The authors be notified by email of the
                modification in advance of redistribution,
                if an email address is provided in
                the document.

        Mere aggregation of the MySQL++ User Manual with other
        documents or programs on the same media shall not cause
        this license to apply to those other works.

        All translations, derivative documents, or modified
        documents that incorporate the MySQL++ User Manual may
        not have more restrictive license terms than these,
        except that you may require distributors to make the
        resulting document available in source format.