[Fedora-legal-list] Metamail license

Petr Šabata contyk at redhat.com
Fri Mar 13 09:41:16 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 02:54:16PM -0400, Tom Callaway wrote:
> On 03/10/2015 05:18 PM, Petr Šabata wrote:
>
> > (...)
> >
> > You can see the whole file here:
> > https://metacpan.org/source/SHAY/perl-5.20.1/regexec.c
> >
> > I looked but couldn't find any common name for this license
> > of Henry's.  Is it on our list?  Is it free?  What name should
> > I use in the License tag?
>
> This old license implies a right to modify (clause 3) but doesn't
> clearly grant that right. Normally, I'd ask for us to try to reach out
> to the copyright holder (Henry Spencer) to clarify it, but he seems to
> have done so in 1992-1994:
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/license-regex.html
>
> This version of his license clearly grants permission to "alter" and
> redistribute, but requires that "credits" appear in the documentation.
> With those changes, the license is clearly free.
>
> For Fedora, including this license text as %license should be sufficient
> to meet this requirement.
>
> In summary:
>
> 1) Please ask upstream perl to inherit the newer license for Henry
> Spencer's Reg-Ex library (the mysql one).
> 2) Please include a copy of this newer license text as a file in the
> perl package, marked as %license.
> 3) Adjust the license tag to include "HSRL".
>
> ~tom

Thank you, Tom.  Will do.

I found one more license in perl which I'm not sure about; according to
the source comments, this comes from metamail:

  Copyright (c) 1991 Bell Communications Research, Inc. (Bellcore)

  Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this material
  for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted, provided
  that the above copyright notice and this permission notice
  appear in all copies, and that the name of Bellcore not be
  used in advertising or publicity pertaining to this
  material without the specific, prior written permission
  of an authorized representative of Bellcore.  BELLCORE
  MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS ABOUT THE ACCURACY OR SUITABILITY
  OF THIS MATERIAL FOR ANY PURPOSE.  IT IS PROVIDED "AS IS",
  WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES.

Full source:
https://metacpan.org/source/SHAY/perl-5.20.1/cpan/MIME-Base64/Base64.xs

That's the last one :)

Thank you,