[Fedora-legal-list] Packaging of PlayOnLinux

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Oct 13 14:50:59 UTC 2015

On 10/13/2015 01:57 AM, Jiří Konečný wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to ask if PlayOnLinux could be packaged to Fedora. This program
> has list of proprietary programs which are not downloaded but could be
> installed if you give it setup.exe file.
>
> Also it downloads Windows redistributable when user explicitly wants to
> install program (which using this redist) or given redistributable.

Please take this to FESCo, as this is a policy decision rather than a
legal one, since best I can see, PlayOnLinux is entirely GPL/LGPL code.

It is unclear to me whether PlayOnLinux meets the "software is not
functional or useful without the presence of external code dependencies"
test:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Packages_which_are_not_useful_without_external_bits

~tom

==