[Fedora-livecd-list] Fedora Live CD project "kick off"

Neville Richter n.richter at qut.edu.au
Tue Apr 5 13:46:50 UTC 2005

Colin Charles wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 14:25 -0500, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
>

>>So.  To get the ball rolling, how about some introductions?  I'll
>>start.
>>

>I'm Colin Charles, general all-rounder on The Fedora Project. My interst
>in making a LiveCD is so that Fedora can get spread far and wide, and
>that I can also use it for the United Nations LiveCD that I was doing
>(still am doing). It is currently Ubuntu based because Casper actually
>"just works"
>
>I didn't want it Stateless based because of the fact that during the
>pre-FUDCon discussions and just hanging out with most of the @redhat's,
>they figure Stateless is not really a viable option. Xen/anaconda might
>be what is its replacement, just minus LiveCDs
>
>So, lets figure it out and get working on it. I've also been talking to
>Steve Grubb about the Rookery system which I've been meaning to fiddle
>with
>
>Regards

Hi, Neville here,

I have some ideas that I would like to see implemented by the Fedora
Live CD project.  I think you should aim to be at the top of the pack so
the Fedora Core live CD should really be a step up from what is
currently available.  The various Knoppix boot CDs are at the cutting
edge and you need to release something far superior to draw people to
your products.

As a boot CD builder I have used cloop and squashfs and I would hope
that someone would add squashfs to the standard Fedora Core kernel
distribution before starting this project.  This will allow for the
Fedora livecd to have a lot more files.

The ADIOS boot CD, which I have been developing is currently based on
Fedora Core 3.  ADIOS uses the busybox/uclibc/isolinux startup which
then performs a pivot_root to the real filesystem this works fine but I
had to modify the filesystem so that /usr was read-only squashfs and the
read-write files are all moved into /var which is a RAM drive (or disk
partition).

The Xendemo boot CD is a better model, it uses copy-on-write filesystems
and I think that including Xen would also make the Fedora livecd very
attractive to Educational Institutions, which want to teach networking
and security.

I would like to see most of the services that are needed to complete the
RedHat Certified Engineer (RHCE) course on the Fedora livecd.  And maybe
some of the promotional material associated with obtaining the RHCE.

Lastly why not a Fedora live DVD which would support as many languages
as possible on startup, as there seems to be a huge non-English
following of RedHat Fedora Core.  Using squashfs you will have plenty of
room to have both the RPMS and the SRPMS on the DVD as well.

----

Myself and Mark Huth are about to start rebuilding the busbox/uclibc
software in preparation to building the the next ADIOS boot CD based on
Fedora Core 4.  We have plans to do most of the above but would be happy
for RedHat to do the work, although we could also help with ideas and
coding.  For comparison you can download the current ADIOS boot CD
version 4.11 from http://dc.qut.edu.au/remote/adios4
username: adios
password: 12qwaszx
Start with run option 1 first, you also need the username adios and
password 12qwaszx to login.  The  FAQ is on the CD but if you don't get
that far go to http://dc.qut.edu.au/adios

--
regards Neville
email:  n.richter at qut.edu.au           room:   S745 Gardens Point

Neville Richter, Senior Lecturer
School of Software Engineering & Data Communications
Faculty of Information Technology
Queensland University of Technology
Box 2434  Brisbane 4001  AUSTRALIA