[Fedora-livecd-list] Project goals and infrastructure...

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Tue Apr 12 07:33:24 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 02:19 -0600, Tom Lisjac wrote:

> So IMHO, most of the hard work has already been done. What's needed
> now is a unifying spec or wishlist that can be used to pick, choose
> and merge the best parts of all this good stuff into a Fedora specific
> build system. I'd be willing to draft a strawman spec for you all to
> laugh at if one doesn't already exist. :)

It might be interesting if the people who have done live cds could list
what changes they have done to make them work. Then we can take these
changes and try to get them all into the distro. When everything needed
for the live-cd is in the core distro, all that is required is a
fedora-livecd-creator package with some script to create a live cd from
a fedora core tree.

Some changes needed:

* squashfs
This would be nice, zisofs is included in fc and works, but squashfs
would perform better.

* init script changes
There are likely a few init script changes needed. The stateless linux
changes added some stuff to /etc/rc.sysinit that could be used.
(The /etc/sysconfig/readonly-root stuff). Maybe some more changes are
needed, we should then try to get them in.

* Additional packages
Does the live cd need some package not currently in the distro. If so,
we should try to get it in. (I guess this means both packages needed on
the live-cd and packages needed to build it.)

What other changes do we need in order to make a script that can
generate a live-cd from a random rawhide snapshot?

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's an unconventional native American cat burglar with a passion for fast
cars. She's a chain-smoking kleptomaniac safe cracker from aristocratic
European stock. They fight crime!