[Fedora-livecd-list] Config file format proposal

Dirk Westfal dirk.westfal at frankfurter-verein.de
Tue Jul 19 02:26:40 UTC 2005

On Monday 18 July 2005 15:04, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 13:47 +0200, Darko Ilic wrote:
>

> > But we decided that image build won`t be done by anaconda. The concept
> > can be seen on http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LiveCD.
>
> This means that you're going to have to be able to duplicate all of the
> setup types of tasks which anaconda does as well as duplicate all of the
> system level setup changes which occur on a per release basis :/

That was one of the reasons for me to 'clone' anaconda: to try to develop
modules that could be used as some  kind of 'snap in' to extend the normal
(and thoroughly tested) install process with functions to put that
installation into a livecd.

Since anaconda provides everything to safely install into a dircetory/harddisk
from a parent system... well - one of my secret dreams was (is?) to have
'livecdinstall' as just another type of install aviable in anaconda ...

Perhaps it is possible to use the anaconda codebase at least for the initial
installation of the 'master' system - even if the livecd-installer is not
included in anaconda (and does not have any  gui/wizards):
The image creation would be run by an external script - as defined in the
concept.

Imho that could/would safe a lot of manpower: we get a proper install 'for
free' and just have to create the tool to modify and put it onto a cd/dvd
media.

With two configfiles (one beeing the default kickstart and one as the
livecd-build config file) we would also guarantee that every livecd system
can easely be installed to harddisk.

> Jeremy

Dirk *leaning out of the window, so hit me now* Westfal