[Fedora-livecd-list] Project Status?

Tom Lisjac netdxr at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 04:22:57 UTC 2005

On 6/6/05, Wade Mealing <wmealing at redhat.com> wrote:

> Once a "Tree" has been built, just like normal anaconda it will produce
> a kickstart file and this should be able to automate "installs" for a
> live CD.

I like this approach.

I've been using kickstart and yum to automate the builds of our
production servers for some time. The post-install script allows yum
installs and updates to be done where dependancies for locally
maintained packages are resolved automatically. It's beautiful...
makes building a customized server a breeze! The Windows guys I work
with are envious because this process can produce a fully updated and
configured server from bare metal with no manual intervention.

A similar build approach would be ideal for creating a bootable CD.
Pre-defined configurations could be developed and shared via kickstart
files... and the build process (with yum) could automatically create a
sophisticated, up to date image without the builder having to be a
guru.

A kickstart driven system would also make it possible to tap into some
of the "bare bones" work that is being done to reduce the size of the
"minimal install"... obviously an important consideration for a CD:

http://www.simpaticus.com/linux/barebones-server-howto.php

If you have something that you can share at this point, I'd like to
help test and refine it.

-Tom