[Fedora-livecd-list] What I want to do...

dhumphre at simulation.com dhumphre at simulation.com
Thu Sep 22 06:13:13 UTC 2005

I am interested in building a Live CD with a pretty minimal X windows
install.  I don't need many bells and whistles, but I do need nvidia
OpenGL drivers and C++ runtime libraries.  My intent is to actually boot
from compact flash using a CF IDE adpater.  I read about an audio distro
of Linux being setup that way to avoid having noisy hard drives in a
studio setting.

My company sells a software product that produces real time OpenGL
displays and we are lookng to build an embedded linux platform to deploy
it on, using a small form factor motherboard, nvidia graphics card and
touch screen LCD.  The primary application would be for displays for
vehicle simulators.  Other apps would include wall mounted PC control
systems and people prototyping new flight displays for aircraft.

I am pretty familiar with Red Hat and Fedora based distros and not very
familiar with Debian. So Kadischi looks cool to me even though Knoppix is
further along.  Our software already supports FC2 & FC3, so FC4 should be
easy to do and I'd prefer to stick with what we know already.

We want the user to be able to run a standard Linux distro and then just
use some scripts to ftp/scp files over to the embedded box, which would
ideally have no keyboard and mouse and no X Windows manager running (or a
very light one).  So it'd be good if that distro was pretty mainstream
like Fedora.

I'm just in the getting hardware stage, but I hope to start building a
live CD image in the next week or so.

Darren Humphrey