[Fedora-livecd-list] Trimming packages

Darren Humphrey dhumphre at simulation.com
Fri Sep 23 21:58:16 UTC 2005

I successfully built a live CD that at least boots, though it hung up when
I tried to go into X Windows.

What I need some help with next is whittling the package set down.  The
wiki mentions editing the kickstart files, but I want to trim with more
fine grained control.

I have tried excluding packages from comps.xml, but anaconda seems to bring
back in other packages I don't want anyway.  For instance, my comps.xml
file does not reference the kernel source, but I get it anyway.  I know
there's dependency checking going on...is there a way I can create a list
of desired files, manually run a dependency check and then see what I need
to add?

I am trying to build a pretty minimalist system (though with a C++ runtime
library, OpenGL and X), so it would be desirable to manually and completely
specify my list of packages.

Another question:What's the difference between what comps.xml and comps.rpm
are used for?

Thanks for the help!

Darren Humphrey