[Fedora-livecd-list] x86_64 builder; 32-bit LiveCD issues

Jane Dogalt jdogalt at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 4 02:09:36 UTC 2006

--- Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Here are a couple thoughts I had while skimming livecd-mkinitrd.sh.
> >
> > 1) inst /sbin/busybox.anaconda should probably be inst
> > $rootdir/sbin/busybox.anaconda (which would require it to be installed on
> the
> > target system)
> >
> Bah -- Since kadischi knows the location of the repository, how about
> extracting busybox.anaconda from the repository rpm and inst'ing it?

Yup, an rpm -i --nodeps --noscripts --root=/tmppath oughtta do it.

> > 2) inst $INSTALLDIR/initrd/find-live-cd
> >
> > makes me think this could be your problem.  I.e. this would appear to me to
> be
> > (in your case) installing a find-live-cd binary which was compiled on a
> x86_64
> > system into an initrd which is meant to be run on a 32-bit system.
> >
> Well, you and AutOPSY both had the same idea.  Unfortunately, it's not
> the problem.  I replaced both find-live-cd and scanswap with i386
> versions and I still get the same error.

Yup, I think the answer here, would possibly be requiring a kadischi rpm to be
available for the target arch in addition to the target arch's repository.
Then an rpm call like the one above could be used to pull it.

> I've also burned an actual ISO and tried to boot that on a 32bit
> computer and received the same error.  I'll try hacking something
> together for the busybox issue sometime tomorrow and see if that gets
> things resolved.

As you can guess, I chalk the above issues up to the same issue I've been
harping on about the installer having many bugs(as I call them) pertaining to
it's incorporating the host system's state (system files, hardware status) into
the target system.

I.e, I seriously doubt that enough (if any) focus has been put into seeing just
how well behaved anaconda --rootpath will be when it is run on an x86_64
system, but with a 32bit repository intended for a 32bit system.  Just
speculation for now though.

-jdog